Friday 26 February 2016

Listening

“We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and the teachers of the law. They will condemn him to death.”    Matt. 20.18


For the third time (16.21; 17.23) Matthew records Jesus warning the disciples of his forthcoming betrayal and suffering. Even so, when the time of His arrest and trial came, I imagine that the disciples could well have been taken by surprise and anger.

I wonder, then, how it might be with me! Perhaps God has told me certain things, maybe up to three times! Have I heard Him, truly heard Him? Is there, perhaps, a propensity within us to hear, but not to listen? Am I truly giving myself to God in the fullest alertness to what He might want of me, whether in being or doing?

Jesus would withdraw to “solitary places”. Here He would make Himself available to the Father, laying all else aside to focus on what His Holy Heavenly Father would share with Him. He lived to do only what He saw the Father do. He lived to follow through in perfect obedience.

I have the most wonderful opportunity to meet with the Father in my delightful home setting. Here, whether indoors or walking the beach and environs, I can peaceably commune with Him. There are no distractions, save any that I allow to creep in.
How blessed I am!





Holy Father,

I thank You for Your gifting to me of a home of peace where I can come to You at any time. I thank You for the surroundings that readily draw me into Your presence.

If I have failed to listen to what You say to me and have not followed through, I ask Your forgiveness. I pray that You would speak clearly to me.

May I know something of the sweetness of communicating with You as Jesus did? May I be stilled by Your Holy Spirit such that connection with You is instantaneous? May I hear You and joyfully obey?

I ask these requests of You in Jesus’ name.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment