Friday 5 February 2016

Identification

“But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.”                                                         Matt.  17.27


An insight that I get from today’s reading is that Jesus did not exclude Himself. And how true this is! He experienced everything that we are likely to experience. Everything, that is, except that He did not give in to sin. He was tempted, perhaps as much if not more than any of us. But He did not succumb. Through His experiences He is able to identify with each and every one of us.

Furthermore, I note that He includes Peter in His actions. He offers the four-drachma coin for my tax and yours.

By this I feel He’s saying to me that I must be ready to identify with others. I am subject to the same fundamentals and aspects of life that others experience. I will not be able to help others, as He wishes me to if I cannot connect with where they are at or what they do. I do not have to partake in all that happens to others, but I need to recognise the issues and the details of their struggles. Jesus does this. He is familiar with all the frailties and common ailments of humanity. He is aware, and this enables Him to minister appropriately.





Lord Jesus,

May I be sensitive to the things that are common in assailing people and seeking to afflict them. May I see and understand as You did when You walked this earth.

You looked on people with compassion. You understood their plight, and You ministered to them from the best possible position. May I follow you in this? Show me Your ways. Help me to see the lost and suffering as You see them. Lead me in any ministry You wish me to undertake. I pray that I may come to know them and reach out to them as You would.


I ask this in Your precious, loving name.          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment