Thursday 31 December 2015

Temptation and prayer

On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.”   Luke 22.40


It is interesting that Jesus’ exhortation to His disciples at both beginning and end of this short passage is to pray so as not to fall into temptation. And He covers two aspects. The first is a prayer directed specifically against falling into temptation. The second is an encouragement to pray “so that” temptation is avoided. The suggestion here is that a praying person may avoid temptation whether they are specifically praying for that or just living life generally under the cover of prayer.

Between both these addresses to the disciples, we read of Jesus’ demonstration of obedience in the simplest of words, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done” (v42). Was Jesus being tempted at this stage? His words strongly suggest that He did not want to face the ordeal ahead. His preference was that the cup be removed. But His love for the Father came through in His absolute obedience – “yet not my will, but yours”.

These, surely, are words of encouragement. Jesus tells me to pray specifically that I will not fall into temptation. He illustrates that, when tempted, I can call out to God and ask Him to have His way.

And He encourages me to a praying life, one that will buffer me against temptation.





Holy Lord,

I do indeed pray that I will not fall into temptation. I ask that Your will be done in every aspect of my life. And may Your Holy Spirit lead and guide me into a lifestyle and lifetime of prayer that will so connect me to You.

In myself I am neither good nor worthy. But through prayer I can keep myself in touch with Your will and way for me. Receive my prayers, Lord. Receive me, and continue the work of love that You have begun in me, in Jesus’ name I ask.                   Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment