Sunday 13 December 2015

The Question

Jesus stopped and called them. “What do you want me to do for you?”  he asked.                                                                                                                                    Matt. 20.32


The scene is not an unusual one in the earthly life of Jesus. He and His disciples are leaving Jericho and a large crowd is following them. On the outskirts of the town, two blind men are sitting at the roadside. They shout out to Jesus over the hubbub of the crowd, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!”

Jesus clearly hears them. Does He respond to their acknowledgment of Him as Lord, and Son of David? Or does He, perhaps, see the state of their blindness and respond with the compassion that seems to be something of a trademark for Him? For whatever reason, He stops and calls to them with that most amazing and wonderful question, What do you want me to do for you?

I get excited just reading of this remarkable event. I hear Jesus call to me, and ask me that same question, What do you want me to do for you? Imagine the exquisite delight of being approached by the Lord of lords, and invited to respond to His generous invitation. The blind men wanted their sight restored. They answered thus, and so it was!

How might I answer if Jesus was to ask of me? I think my response would be something like:





My Most Precious Lord,

My relationship with You means more to me than anything else. What I would humbly ask of You is that You draw me closer. Take me further into sweet relationship with the Holy Trinity. Swamp me with Your love. Entangle me in Your Spirit such that we become truly entwined and inseparable. Never let go of me as we journey together through this life – and beyond.

I love You. Join me close to You, in love.           Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment