Friday 4 December 2015

Lost?

“For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.”               Luke 19.10


Jesus’ purpose on earth is encapsulated by this verse. Yet He did not fulfil the mission in the whole earth. When He left this world many were still lost. And in the intervening years many, many more seem to be lost.

The early church shows dramatically how Jesus worked with and through His disciples. In concert they brought more of “the lost” into salvation. This I see as the work of the Body of Christ – the Father draws the individual to Jesus, and the believer, every believer, reaches out in love and acceptance. We are reminded of our part in this, as the Bible draws to a close, through the words of the Revelation to John:

         They overcame him (the accuser) by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony (Rev. 12.11).

I have opportunity to work with Jesus in His sovereign mission. How might I do this?

I think Jesus’ encounter with Zacchaeus gives me good insight. Jesus saw that Zacchaeus was curious and so He followed through. To the chagrin of the “religious” of the day, Jesus invited himself to Zacchaeus’ home. He met Zacchaeus on his own territory. He ate with him. He shared in the most usual and normal environment for Zacchaeus.

This might be the way for me. Surly meeting people where they are at is the way to go. May I find those who, just like Zacchaeus, are curious.





Lord God,

I pray for encounters with the likes of Zacchaeus. I ask for those who are curious to “cross my path”. May I have opportunity to fellowship with them and to share the word of my testimony. I yearn to see the lost come to You. I pray for opportunities to connect. I ask for God-given encounters with those who are searching.

Dear Lord, I want to follow Jesus. I want to reach out in love and in the utmost grace. Help me, please. Lead me in Your way. Let me be Your instrument of peace and hope, in Jesus’ name.              Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment