Tuesday 1 December 2015

Mercy - and faith

He called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”                                                      Luke 18.38, 39


The blind man recognised Jesus to be the Son of David, the Messiah. And he engaged in persistent acknowledgement. Jesus responded in the most positive way with that wonderful question, “What do you want me to do for you?”

The man wanted to receive his sight. Jesus granted this because of the faith the man had demonstrated.

I see here the simplicity of faith. The man believed – and that was that! He did not struggle with unnecessary theological issues. He was neither cowed nor influenced by the religious authorities of the day. He received Jesus in simple faith. And it was a strong faith. He knew that this was the Son of David, the Messiah. He was determined to declare his belief, and would not be silenced by anyone, whether they thought differently to him or even as he thought.

His clear declaration brought the sweetest consequence – to be asked by his Lord, “What do you want me to do for you?”






Holy Jesus,

I rejoice at the conviction of this man. I admire his faith and I pray that my own faith might be equally strong and enduring.

When told to be quiet, he declared Your glory all the more. Hallelujah! How wonderful! May this be the way with me. Let me know that calm but deep assurance that You are my Saviour and my Lord, my everything. May my faith give me the boldness to shout out Your praise, in defiance of any and all opposition.

The man knew who You were and also knew You. May this be so for me. I thank You and praise You in wonder and adoration.               Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment