Wednesday 9 December 2015

Robbers or Pray-ers

“It is written, “ he said to them, “ ‘My house will be a house of prayer’; but you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’ ”                                                                Luke 19.46


The origins of these two references by Jesus are interesting. Jeremiah (7.11) refers to the unfaithfulness of the Jews. They steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury, burn incense to Baal and follow other gods. Then they come and stand before me in this house declaring themselves to be safe. Yet, in reality, they have made God’s house a den of thieves.

Isaiah, on the other hand, talks of foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord to serve him, to love the name of the Lord, and to worship him. These “foreigners” keep the Sabbath and hold fast to God’s covenant. God says, “These I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer.”

And this release of foreigners to worship the Lord God Almighty comes by the work of the servant of the Lord, the Son of Man.

Jesus has released me, so that I might be part of God’s house of prayer. I can do this only because of His work on my behalf. I praise Him for this. May I never mistreat this amazing privilege He has wrought for me. May I truly, respectfully come to God’s house of prayer and join faithfully with other “foreigners”, binding myself to Him, serving Him, loving Him and worshipping Him.





O wonderful God,

I thank You, precious Jesus, for allowing me to become part of the family of God with the privilege of entry into the House of Prayer. I come in respectful adoration. I bind myself to You. Let me serve You, love and worship You. May I hold fast to the covenant of love that unites us.

I know joy in You and I pray for an increase in joy. Hold me close, dear Lord. Help me to spread the message of love. Release me, please, into all the world to tell of Your love for all people and things.

I rejoice today in You. May my heart sing for You, and of You. Hallelujah! Bless Your name,                      Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment