Saturday 28 November 2015

Mocked!

“We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled. He will be handed over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him, spit on him and kill him. On the third day he will rise again.”                                                                                                                          Luke 18.31b - 33


Jerusalem was the centre, the heart of the Jewish faith. It was to be in the very heartland of their connection with God that Jesus would be handed over to the Gentiles. Gentiles, of that time, were those not of the Jewish faith.

Likewise there are Gentiles today who may be described as not of the Christian faith. As Jesus is encountered by these people, He is likely to be mocked, insulted, spat on, flogged and killed. Cities, and even nations which, in the past, may have been compared with Jerusalem in terms of being heartlands of the Christian faith, have become modern day deserts of disbelief.

As I reflect on these comparisons it raises the question of what the Christian might do when challenged by a hostile society. In Jerusalem the disciples deserted their leader. That is, until they were filled with the Holy Spirit after Christ’s resurrection and ascension. Then they were bold.

The Holy Spirit is with us today and, I think, believers should be bold in the Spirit, but also wise. Whilst I hope I will never desert my Lord, I pray I will not be the cause of Him being mocked or insulted. This is where I can be led by the Holy Spirit.





Lord Jesus,

It grieves me when You are derided. I pray I may never be the catalyst for any mocking or criticism directed at You.

In these apostate times it is difficult to witness effectively for You. I ask for the help of Your Holy Spirit to enable me to share Your love in appropriate and meaningful ways.

There is nothing derisive about my relationship with You. May the truth of You be seen in my life, in Your precious name I ask.                Amen.






My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment