Tuesday 3 November 2015

True wealth

“I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.”                                                      Luke 16.9


I’m not sure that I understand this parable of the shrewd manager. Some commentators see the man as giving away what really belonged to his master. Others suggest he may simply have been foregoing interest that his master had no right to charge. Either way, what he demonstrates is his clever use of the means at his disposal in planning for his future wellbeing.

And the verse I’ve selected brings a similar sort of message to Jesus’ listeners. God’s people should be alert to make use of what God has given them. I do believe that God has control over all things, including worldly wealth. We may be blessed, to whatever degree, with worldly possessions and abilities. We will undoubtedly meet people in need. As we are willing to share of what we have (and here I see time and abilities as equally significant if not more so than wealth and possessions), we will help and bless others. Those we help may welcome us, subsequently, into heaven.

Thus may worldly things, used wisely by us, bring eternal benefit, both to others and to ourselves.





Creator God, Maker of All Things,

I ask You for wisdom and discernment in how I use those things You have given me to assist me in this earthly journey.

I see resources of time, abilities and possessions and I want to use them all to help those with a need for my help, and also to bless You in what I do. Lead me, please. Open me up to hear what You might be saying to me and to be willing to do whatever is necessary.

I have long since chosen You over money. May I please You in my worldly service, in Jesus’ name.                       Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment