Saturday 7 November 2015

Listen, and believe

When they came together in Galilee, he said to them, “The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men. They will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised to life.” And the disciples were filled with grief.                        Matt. 17.22,23


Jesus had previously explained to His disciples how He would go to Jerusalem where He would suffer much at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law; that He would be killed but on the third day be raised to life (Matt. 16.21).

Now the disciples are being told for the second time. Their reaction is such that they were filled with grief. On each occasion Jesus has stressed how necessary it is for Him to die, but He has made it abundantly clear that He will rise to new life on the third day.

Yet, when these events finally came to pass, the disciples were utterly devastated by the crucifixion, and equally amazed at the resurrection. I understand the human reaction to a certain degree, yet in the light of their very clear foreknowledge of events, I find it puzzling that they did not rather respond in full confidence that all was pre-ordained and would be wonderfully right.

The questions that come to mind are: Did the disciples truly hear Jesus when He foretold these things? And, if so, did they believe Him?

Of course, this brings me to me. I believe God speaks to me. Today I am challenged to consider – Do I truly listen to Him? And, if so, do I believe Him?





O Most Amazing God,

I do indeed believe that You speak to me. Let me hear You and pay heed to all You would say and share with me. Let me believe, fully, whatever You may have for me.


I ask You to take my present faith, and increase it. Show me greater things. Share more wonders, please, in Jesus’ name I ask.               Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment