Thursday 19 November 2015

Like lightning

“For the Son of Man in his day will be like the lightning, which flashes and lights up the sky from one end to the other.”                                                                Luke 17.24


The return of Jesus in glory will be spectacular. His coming will be sudden, unexpected and public. He will light up the sky like crazy flashes of lightning which are unpredictable and uncontrollable. When Jesus returns He will be in full control.

The reference by Luke to flashes and lighting up the sky leads me to the contrast with His human death when the sun stopped shining (Luke 23.45) and darkness came over the whole land (v44). Darkness ensues when a light goes out. Jesus is the light of the world (John 9.5). When human life was crushed out of Him the light went out.

But that light is to return – more gloriously and brightly, more intensely and intently than ever. It will not be ignored. It will herald in eternity. Humanity has been forewarned, but will humanity take notice?

We are blessed that the light has not been totally extinguished. We have the Holy Spirit who keeps the light alive. Some choose to let that light shine brightly into their lives, while others seem to ignore the only light that can truly bring them life.





Lord Jesus,

You are the light of the world and I rejoice that Your light shines for me still through the agency of the Holy Spirit. I ask You to keep me ever in that light. May it never darken for me but, rather, let it grow brighter each day. Draw me closer. Shine love brilliantly in me and through me.

I give myself to You with the simple request that You cleanse me and refill me with You. May I be ready for the time of Your glorious return! I offer to You all my faults and failings. I ask You to loose me from them. Set me free, please. I want to be Yours, and Yours alone.

May we spend this day, and all of eternity, together? In Your precious name I ask.
                                                                                                                             Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").




No comments:

Post a Comment