Wednesday 25 November 2015

No impossibility

Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?”
Jesus replied, “What is impossible with men is possible with God.”    Luke 18.26, 27


These words of Jesus are greatly encouraging. The rich man illustrated the difficulty, even the impossibility, of letting go of worldly wealth in order to embrace heavenly treasure. The disciples sound almost defeated – “Who, then, can be saved?” But Jesus breaks through with the declaration that nothing is impossible with God. Hallelujah! Praise to our great God.

I find myself linking this promise with the story that opens this chapter of Luke’s gospel, the persistent widow who got the judge to grant her justice. Jesus applies this story to those who cry out to God.

Of course, I want that all should be saved and none should perish. But there are some people I particularly want to see enter the kingdom of God. I pray for them, but worldly preoccupations seem to be much more important to them, and God is of no consequence.

Jesus tells me that nothing is impossible with God. He tells me that God hears me as I cry out to Him. It’s clear then what I need to do.





Mighty God,

I know You have the power to save and I rejoice that the initiative is with You.

I call out for the salvations of those I know who are not yet with You. My desire is to see them in the Kingdom, and my plea is that You will draw them to You at a time when they are ready to give a positive response.

I thank You for my own salvation. I thank You for those precious souls I know that You have already drawn to Yourself, and I dare to thank You for those who are yet to come. I pray for them now, believing, in Jesus’ name.            Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment