Friday 13 November 2015

Sufficient

He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.”                
                                                                                                                     Luke 17.6


Jesus has been teaching His disciples in a righteous way of life, particularly with regard to sin and forgiveness. He urges them, and us, to watch yourselves against sin. We are to be ever alert and recognise sin, and deny it any foothold. And we are to be forgiving. It does not matter how many times others sin against us, we are to forgive for as many times as they repent. (These are the words of the narrative, yet I know that our forgiveness must extend beyond their repentance – and even lack of it.)

The disciples felt incapable of measuring up to the standards that Jesus set out. They asked Him to increase their faith in order that they might respond well to this requirement of them.

Jesus’ reply was to tell them that the smallest measure of faith is sufficient. He gives the unlikely example of small (mustard seed) faith being capable of uprooting a mulberry tree and planting it in the sea.

This insight gives me much to think about. I sense that I have mustard seed faith. I have a desire to “move mulberry trees” – as it were. Jesus, I believe, is telling me I already have the faith to do this. So, where do I go from here?





Lord Jesus,

I believe Your Word. I receive Your Word. I understand that You are telling me I have within me, already, the faith to command miracles.

I can readily acknowledge a measure of faith within me. I perhaps have not believed that this could be sufficient to allow wonders and miracles. I ask You to help me remove this stumbling block, for I see it as such. I need to believe that the faith I have is sufficient.

I am not the one to cause miracles – You are! I know this, and I need to believe for the miracles in You, and through You. Grow me in this, please, in Your most powerful name I ask.              Amen.






My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment