Friday 5 June 2015

Witness

“I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am.”     John 8.58


What a tumultuous statement this is. Jesus is clearly saying two things. Firstly, that He is God (I am), and, secondly, that He existed before Abraham. Of course He would have, being God.

Jesus had been talking about being His own witness. In the culture of the time being one’s own, sole witness was not acceptable. The law required two witnesses (8.17). Jesus’ claim was that the Father supported Him, thereby satisfying the two witnesses required by the law.

I believe we have a further witness, the Holy Spirit. The Spirit quickens me to the truth of God. The Spirit brings forth God’s Word to life for me. Indeed, each time I read Jesus’ words, “I tell you the truth” I get excited. No one, in all of history, has been able to match His truthfulness.

I delight in the revelations that the Holy Spirit brings to me from God’s Word, from my life experiences and from my relationships with others.

God (Father, Son and Spirit) can truly do anything. I marvel at not only what I can learn from God, but I also marvel in what He will do in and through me. I do not need to stress or strain to do His will. All that is needed of me is to be available, and to be obedient.




Lord, Holy God,

I sit at Your feet in wonder and awe. I come in complete surrender. As I give myself to You, I wait upon You. I live to do Your will. I rejoice in Your service.

I look to You in the day that lies ahead. You are my direction and guide. You are my strength and wisdom. Take me, Lord. Lead me in Your way, and have Your way in all that I am and all that I do today.

May I obey, honour and please You. I ask these things, believing for them, in the precious and powerful name of Jesus.                Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment