Tuesday 23 June 2015

Prime choice

“Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.”                                                                                                                 John 12.5


Judas appears to make this complaint on the grounds of social welfare, however John further explains that Judas’ motives were personal. As keeper of the purse he would, from time to time, help himself to its contents. Thus we see two motives – the one of social justice and the other of self-help. Such motives could well underline our daily actions!

What Mary in fact did, however, demonstrates a third, and much more meaningful, alternative. She gave to Jesus Himself. As Jesus rebuked Judas, He spoke of the beautiful thing that Mary had done for Him. He gave the further reminder that we should honour Him while we have the opportunity. I see this action as being, not in place of ministering to the poor (in whatever aspect they might be poor) but, rather, as putting Jesus first. If we start with Him, if we make Him our sure foundation, all other ministry and relationship will flow in right manner.

Jesus is with me now. I live with Him. I embrace Him and practice His presence in my life. It is most natural that I should wish to honour Him as of prime importance. As I do, I am fitted and equipped to follow Him in whatever other ministry opens up for me.





Holy Lord and Loving God,

I do not come with expensive perfume as Mary did to anoint Your feet. But I bring You what is most important and precious to me – myself!

I give myself to You – to the extent that I am mine to give. I realize that I am not mine, but Yours anyway. But I make the choice of wanting to follow You and not resist. There may be trial and pain to come. I acknowledge this as I surrender fully.

My desire is to do as Mary did, and present a beautiful gift to You. My gift is my life. I ask You to take it, and make it beautiful.                Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment