Sunday 7 June 2015

The work

“As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.”                                                                               John 9.4


On first glance, this phrase may seem strangely placed in its present context. It follows Jesus’ response to the disciples’ question, when He tells them that the man’s blindness was not due to his own sin or that of his parents, but is an opportunity for the work of God to be displayed in his life. It’s as if Jesus is saying, “The man’s blindness presents us with an immediate opportunity to live out the kingdom of heaven, and God’s power, on this earth.” Then, His comments in verse 4 suggest that we are to take full advantage of every opportunity that presents itself, for the time frame within which the Gospel work can be done is indeed limited – night is coming!

Two points stand out clearly for me in this verse. Firstly, Jesus uses the plural in the doing of the work. The work is that of God, the one who sent Jesus. But the work is not required of Jesus alone. Jesus says, “We must do the work.” Today, this means me. I must join with Jesus to complete the work that the Father has for me.

The second clear point is the imperative that Jesus uses in respect of doing the work. We must do it. It seems we have no choice. Am I willing? I hope so.




Lord Jesus,

I desire to follow You and do the work that the Father expects of me.  I would live to obey Him, to live in the fullness of His will, to do what I see Him do and what He requires me to do.

You did this, Lord, and I want to do it. I ask for Your help. I receive Your Holy Spirit and ask for His constant strength and guidance. Equip me and lead me into the fulfillment of the Father’s will.

You are the way, and the only way. I look to You; I lean upon You; I seek to learn from You. Help me, please, in your precious name I ask.                  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment