Friday 26 June 2015

The Reason


“Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.”                                          John 12.27


What Jesus faced caused Him to be troubled in His heart. He knew that death was to come, death and severe torture beforehand. He was troubled to the point of considering asking the Father to spare Him from what lay ahead.

But He didn’t ask. He knew that what was to come was the very reason that He had been born, and had lived to this time. This was His purpose. However unpleasant the prospect might seem, He was committed to His goal. His response to facing His future was not ‘Father, save me from this hour,’ but ‘Father, glorify your name.’

He received an immediate reply from heaven “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.”

It seems quite clear that Jesus knew what His mission was. I don’t seem to have such a clearly defined mission, other than to witness Jesus to the fullest extent possible in who I am and in all that I do. I commit to this, and believe that God will glorify His name as I seek to live in and for Him.





Father,

Jesus gave His life in the most complete way as He died a horrible and painful death for the sins of all humanity. He willingly gave Himself into the purpose You had ordained for Him.

He also said, “Follow me!”

I come, Lord, and offer my life to You. I ask You to have Your way with me in all things. Make me the person You would have me be. Lead me to do only those things You want me to do. I’m Yours. I pray that Your name will be glorified in who I am and what I do.

I come to You. Have Your way completely with me, in Jesus’ name I ask.                 Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment