Wednesday 13 May 2015

Valuable

“Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?”                      Matt. 6.26

                                                                                                                       

Jesus is talking to His listeners in everyday language. Sowing, reaping, and storing in barns would have been among the most common of daily activities of the time. Jesus lived in an agrarian society. Just about everyone would have understood the message He was giving to them.

Likewise, with His reference to the birds of the air. The people could clearly recognise the reality of God’s provision to bird life, and the lack of application by the birds to the basic provisions of living. They simply took hold of what God provided!

Jesus was not saying, “Do not work. Do not endeavour to provide for your needs.” Rather, I think He was saying something like, “Know how much God loves you. And this is not because of anything you do. God created you so that He could love you. You  are, perhaps, the most valuable of all of His creation. Will you let Him love you? Will you open yourselves to receive the love He has for you? You have a choice. God is not a tyrant who will impose His will on you. But my Father will bless you as you respond to Him in love and Godly fear.”

I know how God provides for the birds of the air. He may choose to provide for me in similar ways. Whether He does so or not, I cherish most the relationship of love that He has drawn me into. I thank Him, in love.




Most Precious Father and Almighty God,

I thank You for Your every provision to me. I am most grateful. I thank You most of all for the relationships You afford to me – with You in Trinity, and with the whole of Your world.

I thank You. I love You.         Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment