Monday 18 May 2015

Teaching, and learning

Jesus answered, “My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me.”  
                                                                                                                            John 7.16


What a beautiful statement this is. As Son of God I’m sure Jesus could have given the richest of teachings out of His own store. But He didn’t do this. Instead He chose to give only what the Father gave Him. His whole life was based on sharing what He received from the Father – and only this.

What an example He sets for us to follow. Jesus lived in constant communion with the Father. Often, maybe always, after He had ministered, He withdrew to a lonely place where He could spend time alone with the Father. I see so many benefits from this time, not least being the personal refreshment that Jesus would have received. As well as this, He would have been further equipped for the next calls of ministry.

Jesus did nothing in His own strength but He relied on the Father for all things.

Why do we not always do likewise? I suspect there are times when we feel that we must “come up with the goods”. I wonder if there may also be times when we may not allow ourselves to fully trust God!

O, may I learn a lesson from today’s meditation!




Lord God,

Let me never look to my own understanding nor lean on my own ability. Let me learn of Jesus as He has so rightly encouraged me.

I press in to You, Lord. I ask that You give me all that I need – firstly to keep me in right relationship with you for, without this, all else is in vain. I ask also that You give me every detail of the teaching that You call me to. I pray that my witness to Jesus speaks loudly and clearly from the personal relationship I enjoy with You.

I pray, Lord, that You will speak to me, and speak through me. I give myself to Your full and perfect will, in Jesus’ name.                        Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment