Sunday 10 May 2015

A hard teaching

On hearing this, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”                                                                                                                                                John 6.60


It seems that Jesus’ teaching of Him being the bread of life and, in order to obtain this life, His followers needed to eat His flesh and drink His blood, was too difficult for many to receive and accept. And so they departed!

From this time many of His disciples turned back and no longer followed Him (v66).

Maybe they took His teaching literally. I have previously seen unpleasant connotation of cannibalism in this preceding passage, but this is not what it is about. With the benefit of knowing subsequent events, and with some deeper insight, we can see Jesus point to the crucifixion where His flesh and blood was given up in a supreme sacrifice. As we, in faith, accept Him as God’s appointed sacrifice and as we receive Him as Saviour and Lord, so we are, effectively, eating the flesh and drinking the blood of the Son of Man. Thus, it is possible for me to receive and accept this teaching.

But what of other teachings? There may indeed be some teachings of Jesus that I find difficult to accept. Are the words, recorded by John, of many of his disciples, to be taken as “If the teaching is too hard, we are not to accept it?” Certainly not!

I see what I have already described in respect to the flesh and blood teaching as a most helpful pointer to other teachings that I might have difficulty with. I do not reject such teachings but, rather, seek to find God’s true meaning and message for me. Obviously, the best way to do this is to sit quietly with the passage and ask God for further enlightenment. As I reflect on what I see written, I may be led to deeper meaning, to another layer below the surface text. The context may be supplemented or complimented by other parts of the Scriptures, or by God’s further personal revelation.

It is also possible, even if further insight is given to me, that the teaching remains in some form of tension for me.

Some of God’s teaching may well be hard for me to accept, perhaps too difficult for me to understand. But this gives me no licence to reject it, or Him. The man who brought his sick son to Jesus said, “I do believe. Help me overcome my unbelief.”  (Mark 9.24). Likewise, when faced with a difficult teaching, I might say, “Lord, I do understand; help me overcome my lack of understanding.”





Lord God,

I thank You, firstly, for the very many Scriptures and teachings that I understand – or, at least, think I understand.

Any Scriptures that confuse I bring to You with a request for deeper insight. I believe where You wish me to receive clearer understanding You will bring this to pass. If things should remain in tension help me to receive this, though if Your will is that I look further or search deeper, then I pray that I will know this by an inner sense of unresolvedness. In everything, I submit to You. Whether I understand or not, I want to trust You. You are my Saviour and Lord. You are my everything. I ask for Your protection. May I never be tempted to let go of You.

Teach me Your ways that I may ever walk with You. Give me a thirst to know more of You. Take me deeper in You.

You have said You will never leave me nor forsake me. My deepest wish is to remain with You in humblest obedience.

I give myself today in renewed commitment to You. I look forward to Your teaching and the uncovering of greater truths in You.

Lead me further into Your ways. Guide me each step of the way. May I truly follow Jesus in my continuing journey through life.

I ask this in the loving and precious name of my Lord Jesus.                Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").




No comments:

Post a Comment