Sunday 17 May 2015

Hate... and love

“The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil.”                                                                                                                                                  John 7.7


Jesus spoke about the evil in this world, and the world hated Him for His testimony. We are called to follow Jesus. Believers need, therefore, to make a stand against evil and be prepared to be hated for it.

Hate is a strong word, and the acts that generate out of hatred can be vicious and harmful. While the world may hate, and inflict that hate on Christians, the response of the believer is to be one of love. This may be far from easy. How much easier it might be to return hate for hate. But that is not the way.

Jesus said, “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.” (Luke 6. 27,28)

Not only did Jesus tell us what to do, He showed us by His own example. As He hung on the cross after the most brutal treatment imaginable, He said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23.34)

Oh, that I might truly follow Jesus!




Lord God,

I ask two things of You today. The first is that I might be bold and courageous enough to speak out against evil. As in all things I realise there is an appropriate way to carry out any actions I feel to take. Help me find the appropriate way. Help me to be willing to fight evil in this world.

The second request I make is to be enabled for the right response when hatred or injustice is exercised against me. Jesus exhorts me to a response of love. May this be the way for me. Help me follow Jesus in this, to love my enemies, to render good to those who hate me, to bless any who curse me and to pray for all who mistreat me.

I want to please You in who I am and in what I do. Help me in this, in Jesus; name I ask.
                                                                                                                                    Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment