Sunday 29 September 2013

Surrounded



You hem me in – behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.                              Psalm 139.5


This verse paints the most wonderful, indeed delicious, picture for me. I see myself totally surrounded by God, literally hemmed in by His love. It’s not a suffocating picture but, indeed, the opposite. It’s like two people who are deeply in love. They can’t get enough of each other. They make silly excuses to meet ‘by chance’. This is how it is in my relationship with my wonderful God, Father, Master, Teacher, Lover and Friend.

The insights of Psalm 139 are powerful. I feel the psalmist say God knows all about me. Nothing is hidden from Him. Yet He surrounds me with his love. I can’t get away from it. But then I don’t want to!

God’s love is not repressive. Of course the psalmist hints at His protection, and this might well include rebuke. But the strongest image I get from God’s all pervading, and all pervasive love is one of liberty and freedom.

God’s love is enabling. And it is always available to me. I rejoice in the wonder and the miracle of living in His will, completely surrounded by His love, totally wrapped in Him.






Lord God,

My heart brims over with thankfulness for Your presence with me. You are here and I know it. There is nowhere I can go and get away from You, and I am so grateful.

I give myself to You and lay my life before You.

I join with the psalmist and say:

            Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

Hallelujah! I praise you, Lord. I lift up Your great and wonderful name. Hallelujah!     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment