Friday 13 September 2013

A reminder?



But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins, because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.                                   Heb. 10.3, 4


The writer is telling about the earlier sacrifices that God instituted with the Israelites. Each separate sacrifice was a reminder of the sin committed. There was no respite.

The wonderful release from sin that Jesus brings is emphasised by its contrast with this earlier practice and its annual reminder. Jesus frees. There is no reminder of sin with Jesus once we have truly come to Him. I embrace Him, and I receive the Father’s pardon.

Do I then remain in a state of pardon even though I may perpetrate further, future wrong? I look to the words of Jesus. He said to the woman caught in adultery, “Go now and leave your life of sin.” And He spoke generally in regard to His message, “Repent for the kingdom of heaven is near.”

I heed these words. I sincerely desire to leave my life of sin, to live without sin. I know I will not achieve this, yet I will not despair. I will endeavour to live as uprightly as I can, but I will also commit to a lifestyle of repentance. When I am aware of any wrong in my thinking or doing I will plan to turn immediately to the Father in confession and repentance, and ask His forgiveness. I stress the immediacy of this action for I believe, all too often, the enemy intervenes with attempts to keep us from confession and repentance. He colours our thoughts with suggestions of guilt, shame or unworthiness. These must be seen as pathetic, and futile, attempts by a stricken foe to keep me from the forgiveness of a loving Father. I pray that nothing I do will separate me from His forgiving love. His Word tells me this. I need to receive it and let it settle so securely within me that the wiles of the devil will be no deterrent to my constant life of forgiveness with God.






Lord God,

You have forgiven me and continue to do so as I come to You in penitence and faith.

I thank You.                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment