Wednesday 18 September 2013

Entering His rest



Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.                   Heb. 4.1


Salvation promises eternal rest in God, but salvation is received by faith. The writer stresses the believers need to exercise this faith, compared with ‘they’ who heard but did not combine it with faith. Faith requires obedience, a receiving and acting in God’s Word. The writer highlights the significance of God’s Word. It is living and active, sharper than a double-edged sword. It penetrates to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It judges thoughts and heart attitudes. I am called to live in obedience to God’s Word. I am thereby seeking salvation, eternal rest with my Maker.

But I believe God’s rest is available now. I can rest in Him as I live, eat, work and relax. Brother Lawrence encourages me to practice the presence of God. In this way, looking always for God in whatever I do and wherever I am, I can rest in Him.

I have long thought that resting in God is no passive, inactive state. Certainly the joy is greatest when I am able to give myself fully over to Him, freed of any activity. But I can also ‘rest’ in him as I go about daily business. And so I should! If God is not with me, I do not want to go.






Lord God,

As I write this prayer to You I believe that I am resting in You. I look to the ultimate, eternal rest in You, but I desire to rest in You, and with You, in this earthly life also.

I can only live in You. You are my source, my strength, my purpose. I ask You to draw me close. Lead me, please, into that place of joyous co-habitation with You. Show me Your ways in all that I do. Guide me in the paths and into the places that You have ordained for me. I surrender to You now for the journey through this day, with the humble plea that we might travel together every step of the way.

Lead me on, Lord! Show me Your way. I rest in You. Hallelujah! I praise Your Name.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment