Tuesday 10 September 2013

Initiative



When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, “If I can just touch his clothes, I will be healed.”             Mark 5.27,28


An unusual aspect of this story comes to me with the realisation that the woman took the initiative.

Jesus says, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.”            (John 6.44) Through this verse, I see the initiative rest with the Father. I believe the Father draws us to Jesus. Furthermore He does so in the time that He appoints. This was certainly the case with me, and I have seen it also with others.

So what about this woman who was so fed up with her illness that she moved to Jesus of her onw accord? I believe she was desperate. She was at “the end of her tether” and saw no other way out. Then Jesus came along. Maybe the single act of Jesus’ presence at that time signified God’s drawing of her. I have seen contemporary examples of people in despair with nowhere else to turn. God, it seems, is their last hope.

Whether God draws us when all is well, when there might be a little difficulty, or when we are downright desperate, I simply rejoice that He draws us. The initiative might appear to be mine, but I would recoil from taking any kudos from it. The reality is that I need Him. I need Him in all and every situation. And, praise God, He’s there for me.






Loving Father,

Irrespective of our position or condition You draw us to Jesus. I am so grateful that You do.

Furthermore, You are there for us at all times. Again, I thank You.

My prayer for today is for those who don’t yet know You. I pray You will draw them to Jesus, and heal their wounds.                                                                                                Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment