Sunday 1 September 2013

Gentleness



Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.               Phil. 4.5


At first reading the two sentences of this verse might appear to have no obvious connection. But further reflection, especially on the Greek for gentleness – έπιεικής (epieikous) uncovers kindness, forbearance and graciousness. Herein is the key for me. Paul is exhorting and encouraging me to adopt these Christ-like qualities and, further, to let them be expressed in me so clearly that it is plain to all that Christ is in me.

He says the Lord is near. Of course the event that is awaited by all Christians is Christ’s return in glory. Is Paul saying this is near? Maybe, but we must condition nearness with understanding of God’s time frame where a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day (2 Peter 3.8). I am tempted to say, then, in God’s terms roughly two days have elapsed between Paul’s day and mine. Yet maybe he is reminding us that the day is near.

Today I am getting something else out of this from God. I am seeing Christians committing to receive, embrace, develop and exhibit the gentleness of Jesus, and to live it such that it is evident to all and sundry. In this way also, the Lord is near. As I connect with another who shows Christ’s gentleness, I am reminded of Jesus in them and, consequently, of Him being near me. Hopefully they feel the same way about me.

I make two further comments in respect to this gentleness. Firstly it must be evident to all. I have no great difficulty in being pleasant and Christ-like to people who appear amiable to me. There are others with whom I find it difficult. I am reminded of a recent incident which, while not really unpleasant, was not one in which I demonstrated the fullness of Christ in me. Right now I feel compelled to say, “Father, forgive me. And may the individual concerned also forgive me.” Paul has just reminded me that this behaviour is a ‘no-no’. My Christ-likeness is to be evident to all. I surely have some work to do!!

The other point I would make arises out of my own experience of gentleness. I would describe myself as more of a gentle nature than an aggressive nature. This is interesting because, for many years, I enacted a role in the aggressive world of the construction industry which called for me to be actively assertive and even confrontational. I could be tempted to say, “Lord, what were You doing then?” God was actually doing OK. Time and again I found people slightly confounded, and sometimes confused, by my ‘gentleness’. Why was this? It appears than many saw my ‘gentleness’ as weakness. What a silly mistake to make! There is nothing weak about the gentleness of Jesus in us. I have much evidence of this in the successes – legitimate and God-blessed – that I experienced in my construction career, and indeed in life and ministry since.

Jesus is sometimes described as ‘meek and mild’. This may well be true, but Jesus’ meekness and mildness is not weakness in any shape or form. For me, Jesus “meek and mild” signifies His full devotion to the will of the Father, and the love, grace and compassion with which He viewed the whole of humanity.

I do indeed pray for my gentleness to be evident to all. I pray that, in my company, people might know the Lord is near.






Lord God, Heavenly Father,

I truly desire the fullness of Christ in me. My wish is to be gentle, compassionate and caring – to all – just as He was.

The recent incident reminds me of how far I have to go. I thank You that You have forgiven me, for I feel no present recrimination but rather that a hiccup has been dealt with and I am now to continue growing and moving forward in You. I see this as healthy. I pray I may never be tempted to minimise my shortcomings – for there will be more. Rather, I look to bring them to You in a genuine desire to change and grow more like Jesus.

I want my gentleness, or Jesus’ gentleness in me, to be evident to all. Help me, if You are willing, to take the presence of Jesus with me wherever I go. I desire to leave a sweet perfume in my wake.

I love You, You know that. Allow me to grow in Your love, and to share it with all those I come in contact with.

I rejoice in this new day. I ask You to lead me forward, in Your ways, in the fullness of Christ.

I praise and glorify You. Halleujah!

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment