Thursday 29 August 2013

Imitate



Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.          Eph. 5.1, 2


At first sight, Paul’s suggestion here might appear audacious, even scandalous. How can he even contemplate that we might imitate God? Sadly, in contemporary entertainment, impersonators, those who imitate others, often do so for humorous effect. They raise laughs at the expense of others.

This is not what Paul is encouraging. The Greek is helpful here. The words γίνεσθε ούν μίμηται (linesthe oun mimetai) literally means ‘become yourselves imitators’ (of God) or, more helpfully, ‘follow God’s example’. This latter phrase fits well with me. I hear Jesus’ words to me, “Follow me”, and I want to follow. I want to follow His example in living the whole of my life to do the Father’s will. I want to follow His example in looking on people, on all people, with compassion. I want to follow His example of giving Himself for the eternal salvation of others. And I see no presumption in following His example. This would be, purely and simply, my best effort. I would not be saying, “Look out God, here I come, just like You.” No, rather I would say, “Lord, I want to follow You. As I try my very best I ask You to show me the way, to guide me and bless me. I want to be like Jesus. I want to be a fragrant offering and sacrifice to You. I ask You to help me in this, for I cannot do it in my own strength.”






Lord God,

I want to imitate You. I want to act more like You with every moment that passes in my life. This starts with a simple commitment to follow You. I ask You to help me make this decision. Let me not be consumed with my own concerns and responses to life, but let me begin to see things as You see them. Lead me to respond as You would. Whatever the situation, enable me to see it from Your perspective and to respond as You would have me respond.

As I read Your Word I pray that You will speak clearly to me. In my progress of growing more Godly, I seek intimacy with You. I anticipate dialogue of such encouragement and wisdom. I look to follow Jesus and live the whole of my life in obedience to the Father’s will.

Allow me, if it pleases You, to see clearly the ways of the Lord and, as an adoring child imitates the behaviour of a loving parent, let me also follow in Your way and pattern.

I am Your child, Your son. I thank You for adopting me. As I assume Your name let me also partake of Your characteristics and attributes. I would imitate You, my Lord, in daily practice. I ask You to lead me today. Let me embrace Your ways and know the essence of You in my inner being. I adore You, and I seek to follow and emulate You in the fullness of love and obedience. I pray these things in Jesus’ Name.                                                                Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying this incredible weather I went to the beach. After a swim I threw my towel over my shoulders to dry off (that in had hung on a tree branch) but the Holy Spirit whispered.."why don't you lie down and rest?" So I laid my towel down and saw that it was FULL of ants (from the tree branch)......hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete