Tuesday 20 August 2013

Focus



Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”      Mark 10.21


What captures my attention first of all with this verse is that Jesus looked on the man and loved him. This is the love that took Jesus to the cross to die for the sins of all humanity. This is a love that is worthy of our deepest, sincerest response.

The story then illustrates what Jesus requires when He calls us follow Him. The man in question was extremely rich and his riches proved to be an obstacle to his following Jesus. On his own admission he had always done ‘the right thing’ but his wealth meant too much to him for him to let it go.

I don’t see Jesus here decrying and denying all wealth. Rather I think He is saying, “Don’t let anything take priority over me in your life.”

For some people the obstacle may indeed be wealth. For others it could be power, other possessions, relationships, or a host of self-focused needs. Jesus is saying “Give away the place of focus in your life from anything that holds you from me. Fix your eyes on me. Keep me as your absolute number one priority – and you will have treasure in heaven.”







Lord Jesus,

You are my life. I pray that nothing will distract my focus from You. Lead me further into You. Show me Your ways in everything. I seek to follow You and live in the fullness of the Father’s will. I claim Your promise that the Holy Spirit will teach me all things and will remind me of everything You have said.

Lord Jesus, be my teacher, mentor and guide. Let me do nothing that Your Holy Spirit does not lead me in. I commit to You. Take me. Correct me when I am wrong. Enjoy me, please. And may I enjoy You. I bow before You in true love and adoration. I thank You. Hallelujah!
                                                                                                                                        Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment