Monday 26 August 2013

Press on



I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.                                   Phil. 3.14 


I feel this verse to be more a declaration of desire for me than it might be a statement of fact. Certainly the intent is there. I earnestly want to focus on the goal and to feel myself moving towards it. The prize that I cherish and desire is a heavenly prize. It is my eternal rest/relationship/destiny in Jesus. In the words of a contemporary chorus, I can truly say to Jesus, “You are my all in all.”

This eternal gift has already started. I need to live in present joy in the delight that Jesus is with me. I believe He has been there all along. But since my receiving and acknowledging Him as Saviour, His presence is a continuous, and continuing, reality for me. I may not always be conscious of this, but I can remind myself of it at any moment. He is with me now, and will remain with me for all time, and beyond!!

What, then, can I do to move my declaration of desire to become more a statement of fact? I can do just what Paul did, I can ‘press on’. I have looked up the Greek word: ζίώκω (dioko) means to seek after, to strive for, to follow, to run after. This sits well with a term I have coined just recently which is: I am in hot pursuit of God.

Let’s get on with the chase, and continue the race!






Lord God,

You are my quest and my goal. I am truly in hot pursuit of You. I do not consider what I am to do for, as I seek, strive for and run after You, anything that You wish me to do will surely unfold in the fullness of Your will.

And so I press on. I seek You with every fibre of my being. I call out to You saying, Lord, I want more of You. Dear God, I can’t get enough of You. Hear the pleas of this aching and
searching heart. Be mindful of the condition of this humble servant and dear son.

I love you with a love that compels me to seek more of You, to see You in all that I am and in anything I might do. Receive me; embrace me; enjoy me, in Jesus’ Name I ask.          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment