Saturday 10 August 2013

Declaration and affirmation



I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
 Psalm 119.58


NIV Study Bible (p. 914) describes this psalm as ‘a devotional on the word of God’.  It is the most wonderful affirmation of the security, joy and peace that is found in relationship with God, and the pointers to good relationship that we find in His Word.

Much stress is made by the psalmist on the laws, statutes, decrees and commands of the Lord. I see these not in a legalistic way but, rather, as those covenantal stipulations that lead us into a better, surer, safer place with God. The psalmist emphasises this for me when he says: Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law (v.18).

The psalm is filled with positive declaration by the psalmist that I can only gently envy. He hastens to obey God’s commands without delay. How I wish I might echo this. But I know I cannot!

Yet he also seeks God’s assistance, and this encourages and helps me:
...give me understanding to learn your commands...teach me your decrees...save me for I am yours...sustain me according to your promise.

In all of this I join with the psalmist:

I long for your salvation, O LORD,
and your law is my delight.
Let me live that I may praise you,
and may your laws sustain me. (vv. 174,175)


I join with Jesus and echo His prayer with all my being:

Not my will, but Yours, Lord.

Hear me.
    Take me.
        Make me Yours.
                                                                        Hallelujah!
                                                                                                  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment