Monday 16 September 2013

Drinking in



Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.                      Heb. 6.7


This verse generates a series of images in my mind’s eye.  First I see, in the natural, land receiving the benefit that comes from rain. The nutritional value of water to the land may come from the gentle, insistent penetration of constant fine rain, drizzling down on the earth. Goodness is transmitted into the land with every droplet of rain. The land receives, and life bursts forth in new growth. Even if the rain were to fall in a deluge, the land would take what it needs and allow the rest to drain away. Water is vital to the prosperity of the land and the continuation of abundant life.

The next image I have is a spiritual one. I see the human soul thirsty for God. I see God’s grace and mercy, His love and blessing raining down on the individual through the gentle mist of the Holy Spirit.

And now the image becomes personal. I see myself as the land, eagerly seeking and awaiting the rain of the Holy Spirit. It is a gentle, constant and continual soaking rather than a wash-out downpour. I am thirsty. I am open. I will receive all that God is willing to bestow, and I offer myself to return to Him a most useful crop.







Dear Lord,

I see myself right now as a thirsty land crying out for You. I am not arid and dry, I simply want more of You. I pray for continual soaking in Your Holy Spirit. I ask You to keep me infused with Your Holy Presence. Produce whatever crops You choose in me. I surrender myself to You with a prayer that I might become a most productive smallholding.

I crave those nutrients that only You can give me. I lay myself bare to Your tending of me. You are my husbandman. Saturate me, Lord, with all that You may possibly give me. I’m open to you. Keep me ever open. Continue to rain down upon me, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                                                                                        Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment