Tuesday 30 April 2013

Little children



And he said, I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”               Matt. 18.3


Here, Jesus gives the key to eternity – entry as a little child. What might He mean by this? I think He gives the answer in the following two verses:

“Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

“ And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.” (Matt. 18.4,5)

The humility of a child is a wondrous thing. It is trusting and unpretentious, naive but not servile.

Jesus says two things clearly here. First, I am to be like a child – humble, trusting and innocent, but without a menial demeanour. Secondly, I am to welcome and embrace others who are like this for, in doing so, I welcome Jesus Himself. This is most telling. This is how Jesus is. The Gospels ring out with the humility and compassion of our wonderful Saviour, but there is a most gracious dignity in all He was and did. And He imbued dignity in others (consider the man of the Gerasenes who was healed of demon-possession, esp. Luke 8.35).

Jesus said, “Follow me.” I want to follow Him and be as He was.






Lord Jesus,

I thank You endlessly for the supreme sacrifice You made for me. I thank You also for the example You set when You walked on this earth.

I want to follow You, Lord. Please help me to be as the children You talk of in this passage.

Lead me into true humility without servility. Let me be naive yet wise, trusting You in all things, and unpretentious in my ways. Allow me to see, accept and appreciate others who walk like You, and may I witness to You in these things through the power of the Holy Spirit.                                                                                                                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment