Thursday 18 April 2013

So great



For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him.
Psalm 103.11


The space between heaven and earth is enormous. To the human eye it can appear infinite, such is its vastness. This verse tells me that God’s love is as great as (and likely greater than) this incredible space. I don’t think my finite mind can fully grasp the true import of this.

This – huge, boundless, all-embracing and all-filling – is the love that emanates from God to all those who fear Him.


Dear God, let this include me. Let me be filled with holy fear for You. Let me know the fullness of Your love. Yes, let divine love and holy fear co-exist within me, each one affirming the other. Lord, I receive Your love. Cast out all fear from me other than the deepest awe for Your Holy Person. I ask this in Jesus’ Name.                                                                             Amen.


The other verse that impacts me from this psalm occurs later:

But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children. (v.17)

Again, I find “everlasting” difficult to comprehend. My heart can readily receive it, but my head doesn’t understand it. For me, it’s one of the mysteries that attaches to my faith and the God-world that I choose to live in. God’s love is from everlasting to everlasting. This is fine by me. It’s telling me that God’s love is for all time – and then beyond! Wow!!

Not only is the Lord’s love with me (as I fear Him), but His righteousness is with my children’s children. This truly thrills me. I love my grandsons dearly and I would want nothing greater than that God’s righteousness should be with them. And in the mix I don’t want to overlook my children. I seek God’s love and righteousness for them as much as for their children.







Lord God,

The places I visit with You are fascinating almost beyond words. As I journey in Your Word, and with You  in this time, I just can’t help myself seeing the wonder and extent and power of Your love which quite leaves me breathless. I love You.

Though I can’t fully comprehend the fullness of Your love for me, my mind has a sort of image of the vastness of space filled to capacity with Your love. I pray this picture will become more and more real to me.

I desire a greater fear and awe of You than that which I presently feel, or sometimes feel. Your Word encourages me to ask. So I ask for more love, more fear, more awe and more humble respect and reverence for You. Hear my prayer, Lord. May this become a real part of who I am and my witness to You.

I pray also for my family, for my children (biological and legal) and their children. I ask for the fullness of salvation for them all. May they know You, really know You, each one of them. May they live the whole of their lives in true belief and relationship with You. May they witness powerfully to their faith in You. I ask Your protection and complete provision for them. They are precious to me and I know they are precious to You.

May You lavish Your love upon me and, through me, to all I meet and connect with. I ask these things in the name of Jesus, my Lord and Saviour.                                       Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment