Monday 15 April 2013

Sabbaths



Say to the Israelites, “You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.”                     Exodus 31.13


God showed the way. He created the heavens and the earth in six days and He ceased work and rested on the seventh day. He called this day the Sabbath.

The Sabbath is not a throwaway day. It is not on optional extra. The whole of creation leads to the Sabbath. Humanity, and everything else in the created order, was brought into being so that it might rest in and enjoy the Lord.

Here God institutes the Sabbath for celebration as a lasting covenant (v.16). It is to be entered into seriously, and not lightly. The Sabbath is a personal invitation to relax with God, and experience His touch of holiness.







Lord God,

I am realising, more and more, what a privilege it is to rest in You. I hear Your words, Be still and know that I am God, and I rejoice. I do know You, Lord, and this is exciting. Of course, I should like to know You more, and I will not let go of this. I will press in. I will come closer. I say, Lord, may I partake of a Sabbath rest with You?

I’m here, Lord, here to celebrate with You. I offer myself to that rest that restores and renews as I relax and let go to You.

May the peace of Jesus enfold me. May the power that comes with His peace be with me. In myself I am nothing, but in You I find all that I need. Lord, lead me into Your Sabbath rest, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                                                             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment