Friday 12 April 2013

The work finished



Then the cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.                            Exodus 40.34


Great rejoicing! The Tent of Meeting has been completed and set up, and God has arrived in power. What celebrations ensued.

I note with interest the sentence before the verse I have quoted: And so Moses finished the work (v.33). It was after Moses had done all that God had asked of him that God’s presence was powerfully experienced. I know God is able to do anything and He’s not dependent upon, nor confined by, our completion of the work He gives us before He will bless us with His presence. But it does encourage me to want, even more, to be obedient to all that He asks or requires of me.

A further aspect comes to me from the verses that complete the Book of Exodus. The cloud of the presence of God that covered the Tent of Meeting determined all that the Israelites did (at least for a season!). When the cloud lifted from the tabernacle, the Israelites would move on. And they would wait for God’s indication before they set out. God was ever present with them. Through the cloud by day and the fire by night, God was with Israel during all their travels.

So, what do I want? As if it’s up to me! Yet I can dream, and desire, and pray.

Firstly, I want to be obedient to God. I would dearly like it said, of me, as of Moses, that I finished the work. I want firstly to be and also to do all that God would of me.

I desire and seek God’s presence. As He was with the Israelites in all things, I, likewise, want always to live in relationship and intimacy with Him. Out of this I seek, and expect, His leading in all that I do. The Lord God led the Israelites constantly in, and through, the wilderness. As long as they were focused on Him, He led them – everywhere. O, may this be for me! Holy Father, lead me on, in Your way.






Lord God, Heavenly Dad,

I want to undertake and complete all that You would have of me. I want to be, and do, what You want. May I, in the course of my life here on earth, finish the work You have for me, and be the person You want me to be. I want to do nothing without You. The cloud, and the movement of the cloud was a sign for the Israelites. I ask also for clear signs from You in what I am to do. I desire to see Your glory operate in my life. This in nothing of me but everything of You. Hear my prayer. Know my heart. Let Your heavenly will be done on earth.
                                                                                                                                           Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment