Friday 1 February 2013

God’s house



Then they set out, and the terror of God fell upon the towns all around them so that no one pursued them.                  Gen. 35.5


God had spoken to Jacob telling him to go up to Bethel, the place where God had appeared to him previously, and to settle there.

Jacob had named the place Bethel (which means the house of God) because he had experienced an amazing encounter with God in that place. He knew it was a holy place, and a place of divine power.

Whether or not it was this knowledge that moved him we may never know, but in verse 2 we read of Jacob charging his household to rid themselves of all other gods, to purify themselves before the one true God and to dress themselves in clean clothes. This strikes me as somewhat uncharacteristic for the Jacob I have been reading about. Maybe I am a little too cynical. Perhaps Jacob had experienced a true and complete change of heart after his struggles with God. Or maybe his actions were the result of the Holy Spirit’s working in him. For whatever reason, I believe he most certainly did the right thing.

And it’s as if God endorses this with his blessing. As the clean, purified and God-focused people set out, their mighty God is with them. He protects them from all threat and danger. He leads them safely to the place where He wants them to be. God confirms His promise to Jacob, the promise that comes to him from Abraham and Isaac.

It excites me to read of people being in the place where God wants them to be. In that place they may enjoy the fullness of God’s blessing.

God spoke to Jacob and Jacob heard. He responded accordingly after first making sure he was cleansed and prepared for the things of God. He was obedient, and God blessed him.






Lord God,

Thank You for this example and reminder of obedience. I see also in this narration the magnitude of Your power. I ask You to reveal more of this power to me. I pray that I might come to a place of knowledge and active respect for the greatness that is You. May I be blessed to see Your power in action in my life?

I seek a divine harmony between my head and my heart and I ask for Your intervention and working in me so that, daily, I experience more and more of the reality of who You are and what You are able to do. Show me more of Your glory, Your might and Your easy ability to do anything, to change any present circumstance and to bring forth a new thing that will liberate, heal and bring glory to You, O Great God.                                                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment