Monday 4 February 2013

Contradictions



The LORD was with Joseph, and he prospered, and he lived in the house of his Egyptian master.                          Gen. 39.2


The seemingly contradictory aspects of Joseph’s life repeat as his story unfolds. He is the favourite son, but he is envied and despised by his brothers. His father’s favour is lost to him when his brothers sell him into captivity. Then he is bought by the Egyptian official, Potipher, and taken into his household. God is with him and he prospers, rising to be head over the whole household.

What an amazing story of two diametrically opposite forces. He is victimised and greatly abused at the hands of man, yet God is with him. Is God perhaps testing him in this? And this is but the beginning. There’s more! Potipher’s wife takes a fancy to the young Joseph. She invites him to her bed. He resists and she counters with false accusation against him which sees him stripped of all authority and success and thrown into prison. The pendulum has suddenly swung to the opposite pole. Yet all is not lost.

But while Joseph was there in the prison, the LORD was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favour in the eyes of the prison warden. (vv 20, 21)

I think I might be feeling pretty cheated by this time. I might also be tempted to say, “What’s the point? Everything’s against me!” I don’t think Joseph responded this way. While the Scriptures don’t state it categorically it seems reasonable that Joseph responded in the goal rather as he had done in Potipher’s house – by giving of his best.

Even in the unfriendly environs of a prison, Joseph prospered. He was put in charge over everyone else. It seems like the man cannot fail despite what comes against him...because the LORD was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did. (v23)






Lord God,

I rejoice in Your faithfulness. You were with Joseph at every turn and he knew Your mercy, grace and favour. I praise You for his response, which saw him give of his best in every situation. I pray that I might always respond to situations and difficulties by giving of my best. Let me not waste energy by questioning why things happen. Let me rather simply give of my best, and look to You for the rest.

Forgive me for those times when I question You. Who am I to bring You to account? I’m sorry, Lord. Please receive me afresh. Whatever might be ahead, I look to You. I ask for strength and wisdom in Your Holy Spirit to go forward. Let us enjoy the day as we journey forth together, in Jesus’ Name I pray.                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment