Thursday 14 February 2013

Love in the truth



The elder,

To my dear friend Gaius, whom I love in the truth.                           3 John 1



I am struck by the way in which John opens this letter.

Firstly, Jesus is the truth: “I am the way and the truth and the life.” When Jesus came to earth to live among us, the Word made flesh, He came full of grace and truth (John 1.14). And so, we love each other in the truth. We love each other in the fullness of who Jesus was and what He represented. We love Him without pretence or denial.

This leads to a further understanding of the truth, and that is the truth about us as humans. If I am to love a brother or sister in the truth of Jesus, I must then love that brother or sister in the truth of who they are at the time that my love is called for. They may be in miserable condition in themselves. This is the truth of the moment. I must love them where they are and how they are.

Furthermore, I need to accept the truth about me. I may not feel myself to be in a very loving state. I must likewise accept how and where I am, and call upon God to help me to love in – and out of – that place.






Loving Father,

You are the God of love. You are love. Please help me to love always in the truth. Let me love in the truth of who You are, the truth of who my brothers and sisters are, and the truth of who I am.

By Your Holy Spirit show me the way of love in every circumstance. Lead me in the pure love that is found only in You. Let me embrace all people in Your truth. And show me, please, the lambs and the sheep as you see them.

I love You, Lord. Let me love freely as Jesus did. I ask this in His precious Name.            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment