Monday 25 February 2013

Little by little



Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased enough to take possession of the land.                   Exodus 23.30


God is unfolding His plan for the Israelites. He has promised them a land flowing with milk and honey where they are to live in total possession. All of the present inhabitants are to be driven out so that there is no obstruction and no sharing of what God has promised and reserved for His chosen people. But the whole task is a big one and will not be accomplished in one single activity. God says, “I will not drive them out in a single year, because the land would become desolate and the wild animals too numerous for you.” (v.29)

God’s plan is progressive. It is clear, and here He clearly presents it to His people. What He requires of them is their obedience to what He asks of them. Sadly, a look at the continuing story of the Israelites will show that they were not always obedient and thus missed out on the fullness of God’s plan for them.

I am reminded of the immutability of God. He is never-changing, the same always.

His plan for me may quite well mirror the plan He had for the Israelites – certainly in its outworking. He will uncover His promises for me, little by little. He knows that if He were to declare it all in one revelation it would be too much for me to receive. Also, I would be in no way ready or prepared to receive it.

No, the timing is God’s. He reveals in His time, at His pace, and in full accord with His plan. And His expectation of me is just what He expected of Moses and His people – obedience.

This is sometimes so very hard. There are times when I feel that God has “lost the plot” in terms of His purposes for me. There are times of impatience. “Why are we waiting? Surely I’m ready right now!” There can’t possibly be more preparation necessary, more clearing and feeding of the soil. Or can there? Do I need to increase some more in Him? I am slowly recognising that God knows best. I hope I am growing in grace such that I can truly say, “Your will not mine be done”, and I can say it in humility and sincerity. May I also graciously wait upon God when He seems to be dragging the chain or to have forgotten the urgency of our quest.

My life in Him depends totally upon His grace. I pray for an outpouring of that grace to enable me to live every moment in a state of gracious rest in Him, truly saying, “Not what I want, but what You want.”









Holy Father, Dearest Lord,

I sense Your peace at this moment and I am able, for the present at least, to say that Your plan is clearly unfolding in my life and I am at ease with its timing and rate of progress.

I ask You to forgive me for the times, the many times, when I am impatient for the plan to unfold. At such times, I guess, I’m looking to my agenda and not Yours. Please forgive me. I truly want to go Your way, in all that I do. I want to be so lost in You that I would be totally at sea in any situation where I am not fully led by You.

You are my life. I rejoice that You have drawn me to You. I thank You for the sweet relationship I have in You. And I ask for more. I yearn to go deeper, to draw nearer, to come closer. Hear my prayer, Lord, and, if it moves Your heart, then draw me so close that I might hear Your heartbeat, and live in perfect harmony with it.

I am willing to go wherever You would have me go. I will do whatever You want me to do. But only if You go with me and You guide and support me. I am nothing without You. Oh, I praise You, Lord. I thank You for this wonderful revelation which moves me to seek You in everything. I seek, and I find. I rejoice, and I am greatly encouraged to seek more. May this never stop. Lead me through this day, and the whole of my life. Let me journey everywhere with You, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment