Tuesday 19 February 2013

Don’t tell



Then Jesus said to him, “See that you don’t tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.               Matt. 8.4


Jesus has just miraculously healed a man of leprosy and now tells him not to broadcast the fact. It seems there are times to tell, and times to remain silent.

A most significant example of “keeping mum” which impresses itself deeply on me occurs when Jesus takes Peter, James and John up onto the mount of Transfiguration. Here He is wonderfully changed before their eyes into His glorious divine being. He meets with Moses and Elijah, and a voice from heaven declares to the apostles that He is the Messiah. The voice then tells them to listen to the Son. Moses and Elijah disappear and the disciples are left alone with Jesus. The first thing He speaks forth to them is to “Tell no one.” I have a fanciful imagining of what their response might have been to Him. With looks of amazement on their faces, Peter takes the role of spokesman, saying something like. “You’ve got to be joking! You’ve just taken us to heaven, shown us Your divine glory, and now You calmly order us to tell no one. Surely this is too good not to be shared!”

But the time was not right just as presumably it was not right for the healed leper to announce his healing, and his healer, to the world. There is a lesson here for me. My experiences in God and with God undeniably form part of my testimony. And whilst there are times and occasions for me to freely share this testimony, there may also be times when God would have me remain silent. I have thought this on a couple of occasions when my human self could have felt an obligation to witness and evangelise. Yet I have sensed within me that it would not be appropriate. The circumstances at the time indicated to me that it would be rather like casting pearls among swine. Maybe this was a heavenly check for me. I took it as such. I felt that my sharing, at that particular time, might have resulted in God being mocked and ridiculed.

And so, whilst I need to be ever willing to share from my wonderful relationship with Him – and at times this might require much courage, even boldness – there may also be times for me to say nothing. As I look to Him and keep my eyes fixed on Jesus so, I believe, He will show me.





Lord,

I glorify You and I delight in all that You have done for me. I pray that I may be willing, at all times, to share my testimony in You with confidence. I also ask for the wisdom to know when You would have me say nothing.

I attach myself to You in ongoing partnership. May my eyes be ever on You, my ears constantly attuned to what You might tell me, and my heart ready at all times to follow Your requests of me.                                                                                                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment