Friday 22 February 2013

Wisdom...and purpose



But wisdom is proved right by her actions.      Matt. 11.19b


This short sentence is almost lost. It follows Jesus’ statement that the people labelled John the Baptist a demon because he neither ate nor drank. Then, when the Son of Man came eating and drinking they called Him a glutton and drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and “sinners”. He follows this by the statement on wisdom. What does He mean by this?

The NIV Study Bible notes (p.1458) suggest the apparent meaning that God (wisdom) had sent both John and Jesus in specific roles, and that this (God’s wisdom in sending?) would be vindicated by the miraculous works of Jesus.

Taking this as applicable, what might it mean for me? It reminds me that God has a specific role for me. Just as John the Baptist was commissioned for a purpose, and his purpose was different to that of Jesus – and, indeed, John and Jesus as we see were very different individuals, so also I have been commissioned for a specific purpose as the individual I am. My task is to be available and willing to fulfil the specific purpose I have been commissioned for – to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work (John 4.34). I do not have to contrive my mission. My role is to wait on God (yes, endless as it might seem) and to be ready and willing when He moves. I have an inkling, and desire, for what I’d like to do, but this will only show true as God opens the way.

Whilst wisdom is God, I also can partake of wisdom. James encourages me to ask for wisdom from God who, he asserts gives generously to all without finding fault (Jas. 1.5).

This is indeed an uplifting situation – to know that my purpose is ordained by God and will be revealed, pursued and fulfilled in His timing. And to know also that He is all wisdom, but I am able to seek wisdom of Him and He will give generously without fault finding.







Lord God,

I rejoice in a new day as Your child. I pray that I might stop striving to seek my purpose in life but rather relax, rest in You, allow You to unfold the plan in Your good time, but be ready and willing to go with You.

I acknowledge Your great, omniscient wisdom. I submit to Your wisdom and ask that it will always be present in my life. I ask You for wisdom, that I might know when to go and what to say and do, and when to stay, be still and rest in You.

My desire is to remain in You at all times – when active and busy as well as when quiet and still, This is my prayer. I offer it in Jesus’ Name. Receive it and answer it if You will.     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment