Tuesday 29 January 2013

Eternal encouragement



May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.         2 Thess. 2.16,17


These words are reflective of a similar prayer in Paul’s first letter to the church at Thessalonica. It is interesting how God gets His message across to us, repeating where necessary – though maybe in slightly different words. I believe when God really wants us to get hold of His truth He makes it absolutely clear to us. The feeding of the five thousand is found in all three synoptic gospels as well as in John’s writing. God’s message here is abundantly clear to me. He is saying: “I will feed you. You need look nowhere else. Come to me and allow me to nurture and sustain you. Know that I am the one. Indeed, I am the only one who can give you the food that you really need.”

Likewise, for me, with these present verses! I recall several times when I have felt the need to talk over a situation or a state of mind with someone. Sometimes I may be looking for direction. At other times I might be needing encouragement. On such occasions I have considered who I might turn to. Some come to mind, then I think ‘They wouldn’t really understand’ or ‘I couldn’t tell them just how I feel’. Of others I might think, ‘No, I’ll end up ministering to them.’ These thoughts are neither conceited nor condescending. But rather, I feel, the truth of the situation. There is nothing so special or different about me that others can’t help, for there have been many times and instances of others helping and blessing me. I feel like I am still in the process of God growing me in the grace to allow others to minister to me and bless me.

But when these special times arise and I truly see no human resource that is suitable, I receive this constant reminder from God; “I am your source. I am your shield and your strength. I am the rock on which you stand, your very help in time of need. So, come to me. Do not delay. I’m waiting for you.”

It’s not as if others wouldn’t understand or couldn’t help. Indeed, there is likely much good they could do for me. But God is reminding me of the special place He has assumed in my life. Yes, this is His action. He has put Himself in place to be my first port of call. He wants me to turn first to Him. Indeed, He delights in this.

And these words from Paul reinforce this for me today. Paul’s use of the reflexive pronoun is emphatic. Jesus Himself is there to give me encouragement. My Father, God, has given me eternal encouragement. I see this so clearly encapsulated in John 3.16. The Father and the Son, and dare I say working in harmony and unity with the Holy Spirit, will encourage me in any and every situation, and will strengthen me in every good deed and word.







Holy Father, Righteous God,

I ask You to forgive me for those times when I look for other humans to aid me, when all the time You are ready to minister to my every need. It’s not that I don’t need others, but my answers, healing and direction will only come from You.

I thank You that You use others to speak to me. I pray that You will continue to do so. But I pray always that what I hear from them will be Your word for me and not theirs.

I thank You also for Your boundless grace that allows me to come to You. I know I am not worthy, yet You receive me through Christ. Thank You, Jesus, for what You’ve done for me, and for all that You continue to do.

I pray also to the Holy Spirit, the presence of God here on earth, and here with me as God’s comforter and strength. Gracious Holy Spirit, I surrender myself into Your keeping. I ask You to guide me into all truth. May every deed and word of mine be good in the eyes of my Lord God. Let me hear clearly whatever You would have to tell me. Let me be willing to go where You lead and to do what You show me.

Gracious loving triune God, I love You. Father, Son, and Spirit, I am devoted to You. May I be who You want me to be. May I live in the fullness of who I am in You. Be my strength and shield, comforter and guide, lover and friend.

Lead me forward in Your ways. Correct me please when it is needed. May my life be a sweet aroma to You. Take me on, in love,
                                    In Jesus’ Name I ask.
                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment