Wednesday 9 January 2013

A Life Shepherd



Then he blessed Joseph and said,
“May the God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked,
the God who has been my shepherd all my life to this day,
the Angel who has delivered me from all harm – may he bless these boys.”   
Gen. 48.15, 16a


These words of Jacob in blessing Joseph’s sons Manasseh and Ephraim, remind me of the faithfulness of God.

Jacob has had a varied life, journeying from the deceitful man whole stole his brother’s inheritance and blessing to the patriarch who truly sired the tribes of Israel. Jacob’s journey was a mixed one yet God was his shepherd throughout the whole of his life, delivering him from all harm.

This does not testify to any merit on Jacob’s part, but fully accords to the faithfulness of God.
Faithfulness is one of God’s attributes. It is who He is. God will be faithful because He will be. It’s just that way and there’s no changing it. Nothing I do can warrant or prompt God’s faithfulness. And I can do nothing to stop it! This glorious unchanging quality, one of many in our wonderful God, stands out to remarkable effect in such a fickle, changing world as is today. I both salute and embrace God’s faithfulness.






Lord God,

I join with the hymnist and proclaim “Great is Thy Faithfulness”. I rejoice for all those who have experienced the faithfulness of Almighty God. I thank You for the faithfulness that is there for me.

Every promise You have given me will come to pass, because You are faithful. I salute You, great God. I claim the promises and I wait upon You. I go forward into this day with You, knowing that Your faithfulness will sustain me. Hallelujah! Praise Your Name!          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment