Friday 25 January 2013

Dreams fulfilled



Now Joseph was the governor of the land, the one who sold grain to all its peoples. So when Joseph’s brothers arrived, they bowed down to him with their faces to the ground.     
Gen. 42.6


Joseph recognised his brothers but they did not know him. About twenty years had elapsed since they last saw each other. It has taken, then, a long time, but Joseph’s dream comes to pass. As a young boy he had dreamt of his brothers sheaves of grain bowing down to his. His revelation of this dream to them had contributed to them ganging up on him, and selling him into slavery.

In Egypt he began to prosper but then took an enormous set back when Potipher had him imprisoned. A glimmer of hope came when he correctly interpreted the dreams of the baker and the cupbearer. The cupbearer was released. Joseph had asked him to remember him and commend him to Pharaoh. The glimmer of hope waned as the cupbearer forgot about Joseph.

But God did not forget. Pharaoh experienced two very striking dreams. Was God at work here? All the magicians and wise men of Egypt could not interpret the dreams. Then the cupbearer remembered Joseph. He was called and he gave a correct interpretation. Pharaoh then raised him to a position second only to Pharaoh himself. The famine, foreseen in the dreams, occurred, which brought Joseph’s brothers to Egypt to seek help, and into audience with their brother. He occupies an exalted position. They are begging aliens, bowing in homage before him. The ways of the Lord are truly mysterious!

There is a time for everything and, in time, God’s plans are fulfilled in human lives. I marvel at this story. I take notice of Joseph’s commitment to God and the faithfulness of God to Joseph.






Lord God,

I rejoice in both wonder and awe at the ways in which You work, the means by which Your plans are outworked and Your purposes achieved.

Your Word does not tell us directly much about Joseph’s faith. It is not mentioned in the same way as Abraham’s faith is identified yet I’m sure he was a man of great faith. I thank You for this.

I ask You to show me further teachings from the story of Joseph. I ask for more revelation. I pray that my mind will be open and receptive, not only to understand cognitively and intellectually but also to receive the spiritual insights that I need. I open myself up to You. I ask You to take me deeper, further. I ask this in Jesus’ Name.                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment