Thursday 3 January 2013

Only what is given



To this John replied, “A man can receive only what is given him from heaven.”                                John 3.27


John the Baptist’s disciples were somewhat envious of the success they considered Jesus was enjoying. They complained to John, whom they loved.

Whilst John’s answer most certainly applies to himself, it also has meaning for everyone. John ably worked with what God had given him and he looked for no more. He knew he was the forerunner. His was not the role of the Messiah.

Jesus received what had been given to Him from heaven and He fulfilled His purpose in every respect. He lived to do the will of the Father.

I have been given salvation by a great and loving God. My gratitude is offered in constant prayer. I believe I have been called for a purpose but I can only live and work with what is given to me from heaven. I believe I can ask, but I am not assured of receiving everything that I ask for. This is God’s domain. My task is to take what I am given, to gratefully receive it and to run with it. Praise God!






Lord God,

Thank You for the gift of salvation. I receive it and I rejoice. Thank You for the life You have given me. I haven’t always done the right thing and I’m sorry, but You are faithful. You have not left me. Your hand is on me. I thank You.

Thank You for the many gifts You have given me and the opportunities You have opened up for me. My desire is to work for You. I think You know this. I ask for enabling and for opportunities. I long to be active for You. Yet I will receive only what is given to me from heaven. May Your will be done in all of my life, in Jesus’ Name I pray.                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment