Sunday 20 January 2013

Keeping His word



“...See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name...

Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live in the earth.”
 Rev. 3.8,10


The single word that comes to me from the message of Jesus to the church at Philadelphia is “obedience”.

God commends the Philadelphians for keeping His word and not denying His name. They have kept His command to endure patiently. They are commended by Him for their actions.

It may not have been easy for them to exercise this obedience. He acknowledges that they have little strength, but the issue is not about strength. I do not need to be strong in order to be obedient. Indeed, in my weakness I will find His strength.

I see also a covenant at work in these verses. God, in so many words, commends the Philadelphians for honouring him. In turn, He will honour them. He will protect them, keeping them from the hour of trial. For me, this beautifully illustrates the relationship that is described by God, several times in the Old Testament Scriptures:

            “You will be my people, and I will be your God.” (Ezek. 36.28)

What applied to the church at Philadelphia applies equally to the church of God, and to me, today. God does not change. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Praise His Name!

I want to be weak in me and strong in Him. I seek to keep His Word, to honour and not deny His Name, and to keep His commands. I seek this, not for any obvious reward, but because I want to. But knowing that God himself enters into covenant with me excites and delights me.

God placed before the Philadelphians an open door that no one could shut. What might that door have led to? It could well refer to the doorway to eternal life – ever open to the faithful in God. It might also have referred to opportunities that God was placing before them to minister for Him. I pray that both these feature in the doors He will open for me.











Lord God,

I declare you to be my God and my Lord. I ask to be numbered among Your people. I ask also for Your strength to affirm me. Let me live in the confidence of who You are, and who I am in You. Overshadow my weakness with Your strength.

I pray that I may live to honour You. I seek to keep Your Word, to acknowledge and exalt Your name, and to abide by and fulfil Your commandments. I commit to these things but I ask also for Your help. I cannot succeed on my own, but with You all things are possible. Help me, please.

I ask You to take me where You will, to have me do anything You want done but, more than anything, I want to be with You, to know You and to be enjoyed by You.

Dear Lord, take me forward in You, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment