Saturday 19 January 2013

Foreseeing...?



But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.           Gen. 45.7


These words carry the substance of great prophecy. Was Joseph in fact foreseeing the great deliverance of God’s people through the exodus from Egypt?

Another major theme that he hints at in these few, almost careless, words is the remnant. I’m not sure if this is the first mention, yet it is extremely potent.

Joseph sees clearly that it is by God’s plan that he is in Egypt. He also sees God’s plan embracing two specific events – the preservation of a remnant, and the occurrence of a great deliverance. We see, from a place of retrospection, the enormous significance of both these themes for the whole people of God, first the Israelites/ Jews and then the Christians.

I am in wonderment of the enormity of God and the intricacy of His design and its outworking. In what appears disastrous in some respects, God meant Joseph’s life and his varied experiences for good. I can see how this good was not simply for Joseph and his family but, indeed, for the whole of humanity.






Lord God,

You are truly wonderful beyond any comparison. I exalt and magnify You. I praise and worship You to the highest heavens.

I see, whether correctly or simply imaginatively, how Your plan for Joseph has had such a far reaching effect. I believe this is Your way. You work in each of us not only for our own good but also for the benefit of others.

I submit myself to the fullness of Your plan for me. I pray Your purpose is to touch and help many through Your working in my life. I surrender and give myself to Your way, in the glorious name of Jesus.                                                                                     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment