Monday 3 December 2012

Such faith



Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that very hour.                      Matt. 8.13


The Centurion exercised a remarkable faith. Indeed, Jesus Himself remarked, “I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.” What an amazing statement.

Was it the Centurion’s faith that guaranteed the healing of his servant? I don’t think I can subscribe to thinking of believers wholly having the power, through faith, to bring things to pass. But I do believe faith on our part might move God to act.

Yes, I sense a tension between my faith and God’s response. I must believe. Jesus said, “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” I must believe, and I must pray believing.

I am also aware of the truth in Hebrews: These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. (Heb. 11.39) The great men and women of faith enjoined to us by the writer to the Hebrews lived in faith and died believing. And in many cases God’s promises to them came to fruition after their days.

Yes, I’m getting the picture. I walk in faith, and I expect to see what I pray for made manifest, but the actual realisation is with God.






Lord God,

I have faith, and I thank You for it. I also ask for more. Unashamedly I ask You for more faith, and I remind You, and claim, Your promise to me that if I ask, I will receive.

Lord, grant me a faith comparable to that of the men and women of great faith down through the ages. I want to see signs and wonders and miracles as I minister with You. In faith I ask for these things and I ask believing, in Jesus’ Name.                                                       Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment