Monday 10 December 2012

The Truth



“I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”                    Mark 10.15


These are the words of Jesus and He begins as He often does by saying, “I tell you the truth.” I take this to mean, “This is the way it is. This is the way it must be. There is no other way.”

He proceeds to state that entry into the kingdom of God is conditional upon us receiving it as a little child would. What does He mean by this? A simple examination of a young child’s behaviour gives much insight.

Firstly, a child is open and receptive. Often they know exactly what they want and do not hesitate to ask for it. It’s almost as if they say, “I want, therefore I must have!” This might appear selfish, yet it is not so. There’s an innocence and guilelessness about it. Rather it’s as if they’re saying, “I’d like this. I feel that I need it, so why shouldn’t I have it?”

In its demands and expectations the child may not consider itself to be helpless, even though it truly is! But I think it clearly sees the ability of the provider to ‘come up with the goods’. In the human sphere the child might often expect more than the donor is able to provide. This is absolutely not the case with our heavenly Father. Let us then expect the fullness of His abundant provision as we come before him in childlike trust.

What the child receives is truly a gift, although I’m not sure that this registers with the little one. They may not rationalise that they cannot gain what they’re asking for by their own endeavour. This realisation comes to the thoughtful adult. I will never gain the kingdom of God by my own efforts. It, like much other – if not all – provision, comes to me through the grace of God. And how extensive His grace is! Let me know I am helpless, without claim or merit, and let me approach the throne of grace with this same demeanour. I am nothing. He is everything. I have nought. He has all I need, and His desire is to bless me. Here again the parallel with the small child comes into focus. The provider for the little one delights to give pleasure, surprising with undeserved gifts. God is likewise with us.

And the child’s reaction is one of uncontained joy. The expression of delight from a child on receiving is totally uninhibited. It is spontaneous, infectious, and wonderfully uplifting.

Can I approach the throne of grace with the attitude of a little child – helpless and undeserving, yet conscious of the amazing ability of my Lord God to provide, and expectant that He will? Can I come in this manner? If I feel I can’t, then I need to change with the utmost haste, for my Lord and Saviour tells me, plainly and clearly, that without this childlike approach I will receive nothing.






Holy Jesus,

I thank You for this reminder, for it goes to the core of my being and shakes me. I have difficulty in expecting that You will provide abundantly for me. This may well be a form of pride. I bring it before you in humble confession. I repent and ask You to free me from all that hinders and entangles. I want to come to You fully as a little child. I yearn to delight You as the little children did when You walked this earth. Hear my prayer. Help me, Lord.

I want to look to You for all things. Right now I commit to fix my eyes on you. Help me, please, to look only to You. You are my strength and my shield. You are my hope in all things. You are my complete provider.

I salute You. I desire to honour You with my whole trust. Lead me further and further into trusting You until I reach that place where You are the only one I see, You are the only one I look to.

I come to You as a child. Keep me childlike. Order my steps into full obedience. Lead me into deeper and growing relationship.

See my joy in knowing that I am a child of God. May I always delight in You and let that delight overflow from me into every situation.

I join with You. Let us journey this day together. Hallelujah! I praise Your Name.        Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment