Sunday 16 December 2012

Grace



The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.               1 Thess. 5.28


Paul ends his letter with this prayer. These are words that we may be familiar with. Indeed we may well be over familiar with them to the extent that we gloss over them, take them for granted, or even ignore them completely.

I see these words as a prayer to God, a most powerful prayer. Paul is entreating God to grant the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ to us. God has made it clear how relevant, indeed vital, this grace is to us. Through Paul, He reminds us: My grace is sufficient for you (2 Cor. 12.9). We need nothing else other than God’s grace. It is wonderful and amazing. It fulfils everything for us.

Jesus knew this grace. As I reflect upon His life here on earth, I see the thread of grace run consistently through it. Often my thoughts of Him focus on the time from His agony in the garden at Gethsemane to the final release at Calvary. Grace is certainly in evidence here. I see it clearly when He was able to say, and mean: “Not my will, but yours be done” (Luke 22.42). Behind these words, and the inner turmoil in the garden, I see the grace of God at work, a grace that strengthened and enabled Him for the final work.

But there is so much to His life up to this point. And I would be remiss to ignore it or skate over it. God’s grace pervaded the life of His Son here on this earth. God, in grace, gave the Holy Spirit to lead and strengthen the man Jesus. By grace He fulfilled His God-appointed purpose. I can do likewise. That grace is extended to me – in full sufficiency!







Holy Father,

I see the relevance and great import of this prayer, wishing grace to be with me. I open myself to receive Your grace in fullest measure. Lead me in grace, and in the power of Your Holy Spirit. Fulfil Your purpose in me.                                                                       Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment